Hard Costs of Search Engine Registrations
What does it cost to register a website?
While it is often free to register at search engines and directories, there are also quite a few search engines and directories that charge for inclusion. (Like you, the search engines are trying to stay in business by making a profit.) We try to just put the ones we feel are worth it on this list.
As of January 2013, for a typical site the hard costs of search engine registration consist of:
Search Engine Registration and Directory Submission
- $299.00 -- Yahoo! Directory -- Recurring yearly fee.
- $149.95 -- Best of the Web -- $149.95 per year or $299.95 a one time fee.
- $39.99 -- JoeAnt -- One time fee.
- $39.99 -- GoGuides.com -- Between $39.95 and $69.95 (depending on submission time and refund policy).
- $199.00 -- Ezilon -- $69 per year or $199 one time fee.
- $49.99 -- Whatuseek -- $49.99 or $24.99 plus an annual subscription fee of $16.99.
- $49.95 -- Aviva -- $49.95 per year or $149.95 one time fee.
- $20.00 -- Clush -- It costs $20.00 to submit 5 pages from your site here.
- $44.99 -- Skaffe -- One time fee.
- $35.00 -- Quango -- One time fee.
- $49.95 -- SiteSift -- $29.95 per year or $49.95 on time fee.
- $9.95 -- Linkopedia -- One time fee.
- $49.99 -- Family Friendly Sites Directory -- One time fee.
- $25.00 -- Web World Directory -- One time fee.
- $50.00 -- Hot vs. Not -- Between $45-$70 for annual subscription or up to $300 one time fee.
- $30.00 -- Click4Choice -- Minimum listing fee.
- $14.00 -- Info Web World -- $11 per year or $99 one time fee.
- $39.99 -- DataSpear -- One time fee.
- $5.00 -- IO - Information Outpost
- $49.95 -- v7n Directory -- One time fee.
- $99.00 -- STarting Point - One time fee.
- $40.00 -- Seven Seek -- One time fee.
- $24.95 -- SighQuest.com -- One time fee.
- $25.00 -- Sporge -- One time fee.
- $89.95 -- Azoos.com -- One time fee/$79.95 for additional url listings.
- $299.95 -- Business.com -- Reoccuring yearly fee.
As you can see, they run a minimum of between $1200.00 (for cheaper, yearly renewals) and $1500.00 (for perment placement when available) to get listed with.
You can also choose to submit to second-tier search engines if you choose to - we don't usually - which adds a bit more to the costs - about another $150.00.
- $99.95 -- InfoSpace -- Their minimum charge is $49.95 for only one web page. InfoSpace includes Webcrawler, MetaCrawler, Dogpile and others - pay once and you've paid for all of them. We recommend registering up to ten pages, which will cost $99.95.
- $49.98 -- Excite -- Their minimum of $24.98 gets only one page listed. We recommend registering up to ten pages, which will cost $49.98.
Your total for all registrations will range between $800 to $1700 in hard costs, depending on how many pages of your site you register, and how many places you register. $900 is the bare minimum you'll need to spend on hard costs of search engine and directory registrations.
Contact us if you'd like to request that we provide directory and search engine registration services. If we do your registrations for you, and you have already signed up somewhere (and paid) we won't re-list your site. There are some additional small, paid directories in our list that may need to be done - usually depending on whether your competition is listed there already or as replacement for some other that could not be done). We never exceed an agreed-upon budget.
Search Engine Marketing campaign creation is not part of our registration services.
Notes: We used to list LookSmart on this page, but we no longer consider them a good risk. We no longer recommend PPC advertising on Enhance Interactive. Click that link to see why. We no longer recommend paying to list a site with the Yahoo! Search Engine as it is clear that they are actively spidering sites - there's no need to pay to get into their search engine.
Back to the main page.